Monday, August 6, 2012

"That girl who..."

This is a post I made on facebook months ago:

For those of you who do not know, a Flushing High school student committed suicide. Hearing about [student's name] led me to two thoughts after my initial sadness for him and his family. Today at school when someone asked “did you know anything about him?” Almost everyone said “he played varsity football.” We all wanted to know more but we didn’t.
1.When you think of a suicidal person, you do not think football player. We are conditioned to picture an “emo” kid probably dressed in black. This sad incident shows that EVERYONE is susceptible to feeling alone and being hurt. Everyone has problems, insecurities, and “bad days.” That is why it is so vital that everybody shows respect toward everybody.
2.“He played varsity football” At my school that is about all we knew of him. Obviously there was much more to him than that. I am not saying that CA (my school) is shallow and I am not pretending to know him, but he probably had hopes, dreams, and fears. He probably loved a lot of people and a lot of people loved him, yet all we know about him at a neighboring school is that he was a football player. If you died tomorrow, what would be the one thing people identify you as? What are you known for? Are you happy with that? Does it represent who you are? It is unfair but true that if one of us were to die tomorrow, our whole identity would get shoved into one sentence. I learned from this to act out what I believe. My heart goes out to his family and anyone who knew him. God bless and hopefully we can learn something from this tragedy.
 
I shared this again on my blog because I am against suicide, I believe in tolerance, and I want my one sentence to be "That girl who was always spreading compassion." Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment